Route 59 PTY LTD
Based in Melbourne, Australia
Press / Business contact:
Necrobarista is a gorgeous visual novel built in a 3D graphical framework while maintaining a 2D "hand-drawn" anime-inspired aesthetic. Necrobarista places a high focus on animation and camera movement to provide a directed experience, utilizing the techniques of cinematography to draw the player into a text-based narrative. Players will experience the story of a supernatural Melbourne cafe where the dead are permitted to return for one last night to walk among the living and enjoy one last cup of coffee. Through a series of vignettes, players will experience the story from the varied viewpoints of a diverse cast of characters, and experience a supernaturally-tinged version of the local culture of Melbourne's cafe scene.
In 2015, we created "Project Ven," an experimental narrative game in Unity 3D which won the award for "Best Narrative" at Freeplay 2015. After developing two more internal prototypes, we received sponsorship from Film Victoria and RMIT's New Enterprise Investment Fund, and began working on our first commercial release.After that
We announced our first commercial game, Necrobarista, at Visual;Conference on January 14, 2017. In June 2017, we partnered with Coconut Island to publish the game, and in July at Chinajoy 2017 announced that Necrobarista would be releasing for Nintendo Switch as well as PC and Mac via Steam. In August 2018, we announced that the game would also be coming to PlayStation 4, with release for all versions of the game coming in early 2019.Now
Necrobarista will be playable at PAX West in August 2018 and PAX Australia in October 2018. Necrobarista is scheduled for release on Steam, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4 in 2019.
Necrobarista Opening Cinematic YouTube
There are far more images available for Route 59 PTY LTD, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of 'Best Narrative' at Freeplay 2015" - Melbourne, April, 2015
- "Recipient of Film Victoria Applied Production Investment Q1 2016" - Melbourne, December 2015
- "Recipient of RMIT New Enterprise Investment Fund 2016" - Melbourne, November 2016
- "Paste Magazine 10 Best Games at PAX West 2017" - Seattle, September 2017
- "Indie Game Dengeki Online TGS 2017 Nominee" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "Indie Prize Nominee Famitsu TGS 2017" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "Indie Prize Nominee 4gamer TGS 2017" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "...full of clever dialogue and intrigue."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "It looks like what would happen if Persona took over a coffee shop, which is to say, stylish as heck."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "It’s full of dramatic pauses, sassy dialogue, and a lot of mystery"
- Kallie Plagge, Gamespot
- "You know how, sometimes, games look so good you just want to eat them? You want to print out all the screenshots in glorious, glossy photo paper, and just put them into your mouth? You know that feeling? Yeah, that’s how I feel about upcoming visual novel game Necrobarista."
- Kate Gray, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "...features a striking art style, using 3D models and environments as opposed to traditional animation and static pictures for its characters."
- Joel Couture, Siliconera
- "Serve up coffee to the dead in an upcoming anime inspired visual novel"
- Caty McCarthy, Kill Screen
- "Necrobarista is So Much More than a Visual Novel"
- Jordan Helm, Hardcore Gamer
- "...gorgeous visuals, and a number of quirky looking characters, which we can’t wait to learn more about "
- Seamus Mullins, Press Start
- "I was struck by the quality of the writing in Necrobarista. It's reminiscent of games like 999, both mysterious, dark and sometimes humorous."
- Josh Speer, Operation Rainfall
- "Stellar art design and a compelling cast of characters round out the title, and a dark, synthy soundtrack ties it all together."
- Holly Green and Dante Douglas, Paste Magazine
- "A visual novel inspired by the anime style of the Persona series, Necrobarista oozes atmosphere."
- Kelly Knox, Geek and Sundry
Route 59 Development Blog
We're writing about the development of our game (and other things related to visual novels) at http://www.route59games.com/.