Route 59 Games
Based in Melbourne, Australia
Press / Business contact:
Necrobarista is a gorgeous 3D visual novel about a supernatural Melbourne cafe where the dead spend their last night on Earth. Utilizing a unique anime-inspired aesthetic, Necrobarista places a focus on the usage of bespoke animation and cinematography to provide a cinematic experience that draws players into a visually and narratively captivating adventure.
In 2015, we created "Project Ven", an experimental narrative game in Unity 3D which won the "Best Narrative" award at Freeplay 2015. After developing two more internal prototypes, we received sponsorship from Film Victoria and RMIT's New Enterprise Investment Fund, and began working on our first commercial release.After that
We announced our first commercial game, Necrobarista, at Visual;Conference on January 14, 2017. In June 2017, we partnered with Coconut Island to publish the game, and in July at Chinajoy 2017 announced that Necrobarista would be releasing for Nintendo Switch as well as PC via Steam. In August 2018, we announced that the game would also be coming to PlayStation 4.Now
Necrobarista released on Steam and GOG on the 22nd of July, 2020, and is also available via Apple Arcade. PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch versions of the game are also planned.
Necrobarista - Launch Trailer (July 2020) YouTube
Necrobarista - Gameplay Trailer (May 2019) YouTube
Necrobarista - Opening Cinematic (August 2018) YouTube
There are more images available for Route 59 Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have a specific request, please contact us.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner, 'Excellence in Art'" - Freeplay Independent Games Festival, May 2019
- "Indie Prize Nominee 4gamer TGS 2017" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "Indie Prize Nominee Famitsu TGS 2017" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "Indie Game Dengeki Online TGS 2017 Nominee" - Tokyo Game Show, September 2017
- "10 Best Games at PAX West 2017" - Paste Magazine, September 2017
- "Recipient of RMIT New Enterprise Investment Fund 2016" - Melbourne, November 2016
- "Recipient of Film Victoria Applied Production Investment Q1 2016" - Melbourne, December 2015
- "Winner, 'Best Narrative'" - Freeplay Independent Games Festival, April 2015
- "Incredibly cinematic [and] exceptionally well-written... an expertly told, very human story."
- Ewan Roxburgh, Press Start
- Jay Costello, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "A stellar debut... Necrobarista's eternally charming characters and environments positively crackle with personality."
- Chris Button, Player 2
- "Just a plain wonderful experience."
- Josh McGrath, Gamer Escape
- "Haunting, Innovative, and Begging for Interpretation"
- Violet Adele Bloch, Unwinnable
- "Every song is amazing."
- A Kay Purcell, GamingTrend
- "...atmospheric and wonderfully designed..."
- Melissa Brinks, Forbes
- "This is the most Melbourne game imaginable."
- Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
- "It looks like what would happen if Persona took over a coffee shop, which is to say, stylish as heck."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
Kevin (Hsun-Yu) Chen
Joe (Chiao) Liu
Producer / Layout Artist
Director of Photography